Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Goal Setting

A more comprehensive introduction than the mandatory first post:

I have been playing World of Warcraft for a year and a half, now. It took me most of nine months just to level to seventy. I had no knowledge or real interest in raiding; I played for the role play aspect of the game, and still do, to an extent. I have never been in a primarily raiding guild. In BC, I never made it past Karazhan, with the notable exception of downing part of Zul'Aman before the EasyMode patch- that was a thrill.

Back in BC, I was a FoL spammer. That's pretty much what I did. Spam FoL, move. I thought MP5 was great, and my holy crit never even touched 20%. I only raided because my RP guild needed a healer, and it was cruel to make the shadow priest spec holy.

We stopped raiding when our main tank went AFK for a few months. I think I raided for, what, two months total?

When WotLK hit, I was quite excited to get into the raiding aspect again. I'd really enjoyed the time I spent with my guildies facing down Prince and getting teh epic l00tz. So, with our main tank back and a new guild name above our heads- yes, another RP guild- we formed up grand schemes on how we were going to raid Naxx 10 in the coming content with our RP guild friends.

Now, understand this. I was a newb, before I started raiding. I never carried water, I didn't know how to prioritize stats, my talent spec was a complete mess. Raiding taught me a lot, and I wanted to be as prepared as I could be, for WotLK. I leveled to eighty... as holy. Solo.

This left me frothing at the mouth when it came to doing quests. I could not stand questing. As a result, I did as many dailies to get the minimum level with Hodir, and then stopped. I also had no tradeskills. I hit eighty with about 4k gold to spare, but between enchanting, gemming, repairs, and consumables- eventually this gold store got worn down. It took a surprising amount of time, but alas, I am now broke.

The main part of the story is that I did start raiding Naxx 10, with great success. I had a two month hiatus which I spent researching like a crazy person, driven to understand every part of my spec and my role in a raid. I still have much to learn, but I am a very proficient healer, and I love healing.

However, this particular post is about... funds.

Recently, I've worked on my prot set, as our guild's OT- the aforementioned MT I ran with in Kara days- is having another several month AFK. The retadin specced prot for our raid, but has now left to join the Marines. Our beartank OT still hasn't come back from moving. This has left... me, the holydin.

I won a roll on Thane's Tainted Greathelm, which left me feeling guilty because our retadin OT could have used it too. (I wasn't going to roll, but I was told to by the RL and the OT... still, I was holy, and he was OTing, not me!) So, guiltily, I looked at my prot set, and I began the long, arduous process of balancing everything so that I finally- FINALLY!- hit the defense cap. All was well with the world! Except my funds.

My apathetic attempts at dailies and selling of my leveling tradeskills built up the funds a little bit, but I blew through 700g enchanting and gemming my gear for optimal use. When I finally finished and specced myself prot, I was down to 20g... a fraction of my repair bills.

Half-heartedly, I finished leveling my professions, and sold off my cobalt and saronite. I sold stacks and stacks of Borean leather.

But it comes down to this: I won't be able to continue to fund my speccing and respeccing and gemming and enchanting, unless I start doing dailies, and set some goals.

So, last night, I decided that I would take some time away from RP- yes, I still do that, despite my borderline obsession with raiding and knowing everything there is to know about raiding- and set some goals. I would like to someday be able to use my bronze drake mount. I hate being poor all the time.

My goals are-

1. Do my Hodir dailies. I'm half a bar from exalted, damn it.
2. Farm 1 eternal fire a day, preferably 2 if I can stand it
3. Farm 1 stack of Borean leather a day
4. If I have time, circle icecrown for saronite and titanium

I've also begun to build up a 'stash' of goods in my bank. I'd like to stick a couple of stacks of Saronite and a stack of Titanium bars in there, just in case. I'd like to have a stack of each kind of eternal, so that I can provide mats for anything I really want. I've got some uncut blue quality gems as well. I've got three titansteel bars.

I want to be that person that can help a guildie get the mats they need. I want to be that person who can respec without a second thought. And damn it...

I want to be that person on the bronze drake. SOMEDAY, EPIC FLYING WILL BE MINE.

If I can make my current goals, I will up them, and set my questing dailies goals a little higher. Questing as Prot is no where near as agonizing as questing as holy was. My only problem is going OoM.

Current funds: 800g
Bank Goals: Will post when I have the information in front of me.

Also, if anyone ever reads this- opinion:

Should I drop Skinning, which provides me some money and an extra 36 crit, and try to level up a different profession?

I hate spending money on stuff that isn't gear or directly raid-oriented. >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment